Halat, E. (2008). A Good Teaching Technique: Webquest. Clearing House:
A Journal of Educational Strategies, Issues, and Ideas, (81)3, 109-112.
Retrieved on February 8, 2009 from ERIC databases.
I am grateful for all of the practice with the APA format, it has been really helpful and becomming much easier. I picked this article because I have had students do a WebQuest before and am curious to know more about them. The article stressed what a good tool WebQuests are to integrate techology into the curriculum. Currently, my district in piloting the Technology Proficiences. One of the ones for my grade level is to teach the children how to use sources on the internet. A webquest seems like the perfect, yet safe method for doing this. I especially agree with the fact that we need to teach students how to do this because they must know the difference between creditable and noncrediable sources. Anyone can be an expect if they know how to format and type a website.
From the article, I gathered that the major postivie of webquests were the active student engagement they can encourage. However, the article also cautions, just like with paper and pencil, they can get distracted and find other sites that are of more interest to them. It also encourages critical thinking on the part of not only the learner, but the teacher! I had never thought about that before. I believed the article also suggested to make sure instructions and expectations are very clear so students understand exactly what they are suppose to do. Something I hope to incorporate here soon in my lessons.
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment